Sunday, October 12, 2008

Now that I have plates, I should learn how to plate.

I can't plate, guys. At least, not yet. Sure, I may have aspirations, but so far not a whole lot to show for them. I'm trying to change that around a bit, and I'm taking a more hands-on approach to not only how my food tastes, but what it looks like. I asked people whose opinions I value about some of my past stuff, and their answers were very helpful, but also deservedly harsh. I'm taking those lessons to heart, and I'll be trying to present food that's a bit more pleasing to the eye. My wife will likely roll her eyes at me, as she's going to be happy whether it's a carefully-arranged dish, or its ingredients that are more or less cooked and thrown in a bowl.


This is a variant on that rather-successful mystery meal that I made for my wife a few weeks ago. The chicken stock & cream sauce includes diced portabellas and oregano, which ties into the garnish and the (awesome!) slivers of fried portabella served on top. I have to remember to do this more often, they turned up so tasty and crispy.

At any rate, it's still not super artsy, but I think it's coming along. The garnish isn't a shrubbery set on top of the food because custom demands it. I'm keeping things centered up a bit, and not getting too fancy. I do wish I had used more peas in the penne, because I like the green color. There's always another time.

No comments: