Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Pillar...of Salt???

For any Christian readers of mine, remember this old chestnut from the Old Testament?
Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;
And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
But his [Lot's] wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
-- Genesis 19: 24-26 (KJV)
I couldn't help think a little about that when I got my latest weirdo acquisition:


A five pound "pillar" of pink himalayan salt! My good buddy Dino Sarma at Alternative Vegan gave me the hookup on this really interesting bit of kitchen equipment. Apparently its really good for stuff like carpaccio and sashimi, and anything with a wet base that will be complemented by picking up the lovely mineral-rich himalayan salt on the surface. Being vegan-minded, Dino was sure to also let me know about using it for cucumber spreads, and also giving a unique arrangement and hint of flavor for fruits, and even a good way to breathe life into raw veggie platters. Thanks Dino, you're the man :)

2 comments:

Odds and Endbits said...

You'll have a lot of deer coming around with that thing in your kitchen, Charley. ;)

Chuck said...

I know right ^_^

Maybe it'll be a diabolical trap and I attract some venison, gank it with the quickness, and after a little work, BOOM, venison carpaccio lol!