Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm now a food mercenary

Well, apparently my breadmaking has caused a splash among friends and coworkers, and I've had people ask to buy bread I bake. I'm incredibly flattered, but also I get to use this as an excuse to bake way, way, way, way more bread than we could ever really eat in my home. Getting paid to offset the costs of the ingredients is also a great bonus. I get to practice baking stuff over and over until I get it down to an exact science.

Last night, I whipped up a huge batch of French baguette loaves:



The crust on this stuff was amazingly crackly, and the loose crumb inside was extremely chewy and resilient. Nothing fancy in flavor, but baguettes are such a joy for texture, and you can use them for little sandwiches, crostinis, or just tear a bit off one into a hunk to accompany soup.

I ended up keeping a pair, and selling off another pair. Hopefully everybody likes the stuff.

No comments: