Saturday, May 9, 2009

Steak and Arugula, revisited

Wife wanted steak tonight, and it's been a while since I've had some, so why not? I think the last time I've had any was before Lent, and I've been wanting to do another riff off my favorite steak dish - steak and arugula salad. I've posted on that before back in January, but I'm starting to feel like I'm refining my craft.


This time around, I didn't use any mushrooms or sauce, instead keeping it just steak and arugula as the main events. I did, however, add a sprinkling of cacao nibs on the top, which had that great bitter chocolate taste to further complement the Shiraz I had, and also amped up the bitter in the arugula, punching through the fat in the steak. Got my hand a little more steady on the cast iron also. Put a much more noticeable sear on this one, but didn't sacrifice the temperature of my steak to do it. I parked it under the broiler for five minutes which finished it off just right. Let it cool on a rack for about five minutes, then sliced it. The jus barely spotted my board as a result, and every bite of that steak was a sponge, full of moisture and flavor. My only regret here is that I want a much thicker steak to use the next time I do this.

What next time? I want horseradish in there. As long as it's not piled on, it's another bit player I think that can also help steak and arugula to hold hands.

No comments: