Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Delivery" pizza


I was out on a shopping trip at Sam's the other day and managed to talk to the people in the cafe they have inside the store. I noticed they were selling pizza by the box at the place, fresh baked, and I had a funny idea. I asked if I could buy some of their bulk pizza boxes off of them, and they agreed. Ten dollars later, and I had a huge load of fifty large pizza boxes, which I promptly threw in my trunk and sped away back home, laughing maniacally. It doesn't make much sense when you think about it. It's just a cardboard box. It doesn't make pizza any better than you already make it yourself. The tipping point for me is that I can not only send whole pizzas wherever they need to go, but I also have the silly delusion of grandeur that I can deliver pizza...to myself!


As much fun as it is to serve pizza straight off the peel or on a cooling rack or any little platter on the table, it really made me giggle to be able to open a box, pull out a slice, and pretend. On top of that, think of the last true delivery pizza you had, and it's never going to compare to a pizza that's made exactly how you like it. I wanted pizza margherita with buffalo mozzarella, big fresh leaves of basil, a slightly spicy, slightly sweet marinara, and a perfectly golden crust. I don't know of a single pizza joint in town that'll deliver that pizza to me.

Well, now I do.

No comments: